Cranberry Scones Recipe | How to make Cranberry Scones

I can't really tell you how many times I have though of making these scones. Now I'm a big F.R.I.E.N.D.S. fan, and every time those guys ordered a scone at Central Perk, I always wanted to try one myself. So one day as I was passing by a bakery, I decided to get one. I tried a Blueberry scone, and it was delicious! Ever since then, I had alway wondered if I could be able to make it myself. And every time I was like..."I couldn't possibly do that...I can't bake that well...You know...Crispy and firm from the outside, crumbly and soft from the inside...May be some things are better left to the pros". But one fine day, I was like..what the hell...lets try out.
So this was my first attempt at making scones, and let me tell you, this has opened up a wide variety
of combinations that I am gonna try now. This time, I made Cranberry scones, and they were perfect! With very few ingredients, this is a quick recipe. I would suggest using fresh Cranberries or any berries of your choice. Now this ain't Fall, and its difficult to get fresh cranberries this time of the year. So, I had to settle with the dried cranberries. Should not affect the taste though...you could use the fresh, or frozen or dried cranberries.

So here it is...the recipe for Cranberry Scone, from the Boy who Cooks...


Cranberry Scones Recipe | How to make Cranberry Scones


prep time

15 min
baking time

18 min
total time

33 min


Course: Dessert
Taste: Slightly sweet, Crispy and firm from the outside, and crumbly and soft from the inside

Ingredients:

For the Scones:
  •      2 Cups All purpose flour
  •      113 gm 'Cold' Unsalted Butter, cut into small cubes
  •      1/3 Cup Sugar
  •      2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  •      2/3 Cup Cranberries
  •      1/2 teaspoon salt
  •      1 teaspoons vanilla extract
  •      2/3 Cup Whole fat Milk
  •      Lemon/Orange Zest (optional)
  •      Almond halves for garnishing
For the Glaze (Optional):
  •      1/3 Cup Sugar
  •      2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
  •      2 tablespoon Milk
Recipe:

Preparing the Scones:
  • Preheat the oven to 400 degree F and grease the baking pan with butter
  • In a bowl, add the Flour, Sugar, Baking powder and salt, and mix it well
  • Now add the cold butter cubes to the mixture. It is very important that the butter cubes be cold to give the rich texture to the scones
  • Using a fork or knife, cut the butter into crumbs while mixing it with the flour mixture
  • Do not kneed the mixture. There should be butter crumbs in the mixture at the end
  • Now add the cranberries and the lemon/orange zest and mix well
  • Add the Milk and vanilla extract and mix it
  • Do no kneed the mixture, just mix it well using a spoon till it forms a rough dough
  • Spray some flour on the table surface and place the round dough on it
  • Flatten the dough to about 7 inch diameter
  • Cut it into triangles using a knife
  • Brush the top with some milk and garnish with almond halves and sugar
  • Put the scones in the pre heated oven for 18 min
  • They should be done by now. Check by inserting a tooth pick
  • Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool
Preparing the Glaze (Optional):
  • Combine the glazing ingredients mentioned above
  • Stir till it forms a smooth mixture
  • Apply the glaze on the scones using a spoon
 Garnish with the glaze. Serve warm.




The Boy Who Cooks

A Software Engineer by profession, I started cooking very recently and now just can't get enough of it. I don't adhere to one specific diet...I am more of a cook on the whim kind of a person. No one is born a great cook...One learns by doing. In the words of Julia Child, 'The only real stumbling block is the fear of failure. In cooking, you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram